Monday, August 6, 2012

This Week in Reading

It's getting down to the wire, and I think I'll JUST make this summer's reading goals. How about you?

Got some good stuff to recommend this week. Here's what I read:

27. The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril by Paul Malmont
This is some of the pulpiest pulp I've ever read. When Walter Gibson (creator of the Shadow) and Lester Dent (creator of Doc Savage) meet up with L. Ron Hubbard to investigate the mysterious death of H.P. Lovecraft, PULP ENSUES. GO FIGURE.

28. Excalibur: The Legend of King Arthur by Tony Lee and Sam Hart
This graphic novel makes Arthurian legend accessible to people not entirely inclined to tackle the Morte. I've seen a few complaints that the book leaves out a lot of awesome stuff, but it's ONE short volume. Think of it as a taster to the legends that might open the door to Arthurian fandom to come.

29. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
Here's another book that has been on my to-read list for way too freaking long. This one's definitely for the more mature teen--the f-bombs fall like cats and dogs--but it's a love song to music and that perfect night when everything seems to click between two people. If it's still on your to-read list and you're a fan of edgy contemporary, bump it the heck up on the list already!

30. Dead To Me by Anton Strout
Yeah, I admit I'm a fan of urban fantasy starring snarky male protagonists. I ADMIT IT. For me, this was a bit of a slow start, with main character and touch-psychic Simon bumbling about like a bull in a china shop, but the introduction of an equal rights for cultist organization shook things up (and tickled the heck out of my funny bone). I'm interested to see where the next book goes.

31. Dealing with Dragons by Patricia Wrede
This is one of the most adorable MG fantasies I've ever read. HOW HAVE I NOT READ THIS BEFORE? I'll be giving this one to my girls when they're old enough, because I am all for stories with non-airheaded princesses.

I'm also copyediting a MYSTERY BOOK. AND IT IS A MYSTERY BOOK THAT I WROTE.

YES, I AM TAUNTING YOU.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Taunting...not so nice...sharing little secret tidbits...much nicer! hint hint... LOL. I love the Dragons series by Wrede. They are great. You should also check out "Dragon Slippers." Another non-airhead girl with dragon series...

Liesel K. Hill said...

Those recommendations look great! I hope you meet your goals in time! :D